Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sweet and Sour Meatballs


I chose this recipe that I found on http://www.pickleboatrecipes.blogspot.com/ because she said that she never met a kid that didn't like it. That seemed like a challenge and it looked good so I thought I would give it a chance and see if it made the cut. I really tried taking picture of my own this time to post, but I forgot to take one of the finished product so I guess I will work on the posting my own picture next time.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 c. packed brown sugar
2 T cornstarch
1 can (20 oz) pineapple tidbits (in juice, drained and juice reserved)
2/3 c. white vinegar
2 T soy sauce
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper (I used red and green for color and didn't measure)

1. Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan.
2. Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to measure 1 cup; stir into sugar mixture. Stir in vinegar and soy sauce.
3. Heat to boiling over medium heat stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in pineapple and bell pepper.
4. Use sauce immediately, or cover and refrigerate for 2 weeks or freeze up to one year. This recipe came from a Betty Crocker cookbook originally and they recommend serving it with pork, poultry or seafood.

I used about 30 Sam's brand meatballs in the oven for 20 minutes and throw them in a crock pot, cover with sweet and sour sauce, and leave on the low setting until we are ready to eat. I cooked the meatballs while making the sauce and then threw it all in the crockpot until dinner time when I made rice to serve with it.

The verdict: They both ate it and my son gave it a 9.5 which is outstanding for him, but my husband burst my bubble and said he only rated it that high so he could be the white chocolate macadamia nut cookies for dessert. I did plan something I knew he would like for dessert as incentive, but he really did clean his plate. I thought it was a really good meal to throw together and feed a crowd and I always have meatballs on hand so it worked well for me. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K CREATIVE | POWERED BY BLOGGER