Saturday, June 20, 2009

Meatloaf...meatloaf...meatloaf


My boys are very big meat/potatoes kind of guys so it is no surprise they like meatloaf. I make a traditional meatloaf about every other week and I have an Italian meatloaf that is delicious that I make only occasionally. I decided to include both in this post so I could reference them easier later on. I am also including a meatloaf recipe my husband brought me this week. He said a nice lady at work brought it in and he really liked it and wanted me to try it. I figure he REALLY liked it to ask her for a recipe and then actually remember to give it to me. I am trying it tonight so I will have to let you know how it goes. Her recipe is unlike any meatloaf recipe I have tried because you saute the ground beef first and then combine with other ingredients to make a loaf and bake. I can't wait to try it. I am also making potato salad, green bean bundles (from http://kellyskornerrecipes.blogspot.com/) and homemade peanut butter cookies for their upcoming trip.

Traditional Meatloaf

1 lb ground beef
1/2 can tomato soup or ketchup
3/4 cup oats
1/2 cup chopped onion (+sometimes grn pepper if I have it)
1 egg
1 T. Worstershire sauce
Salt/pepper

Top with a mixture of roughly 1/2-3/4 cup ketchup mixed with 1/4 c. light Karo syrup for a nice sweet glaze.
Shape into loaf pan or 8X8 pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Drain off excess grease.

Italian Meatloaf (This is a much larger portion)

1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 egg
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. chopped/minced onion
2 8 oz. cans Italian tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. oregano and basil
3. c. shredded mozz. cheese
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350. Combine egg, onion, 1/3 or sauce, and 1 cup of the cheese, and basil, oregano, garlic powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix well; add meat and mix thoroughly. Shape into a 10X12 rectangle on wax paper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and roll up jellyroll style making sure to seal ends so the cheese won't leak out when baking. Place in a 9X13 (it won't fit in a loaf pan) with seam down. Bake at least one hour. Drain and pour remaining sauce over top and cook an additional 15 minutes. Let sit before slicing.
This has a really nice presentation and it is really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K CREATIVE | POWERED BY BLOGGER