Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fried Potatoes and Cowboy Beans

When I was growing up we my mom and I were on a pretty tight budget and this meal was one she made frequently.  It is not low-fat or good for you, but it is true comfort food.

Fried Potatoes aka Taters
2.5-3 pounds of potatoes, peeled and diced
1/4-1/2 c. flour
vegetable or canola oil
salt and pepper

Place potatoes in a frying pan in oil. Sprinkle with flour generously and then cover with lid.  (This step is very important as the flour steams and cooks down on potatoes forming almost a crust on them.)  Turn potatoes with spatula.  Depending on the appearance you may need to add a little more flour for this first turn and allow it to settle on potatoes again.  After this turn as needed to desired browning has occurred and potatoes are done.  Salt and pepper to taste.  (My mom added onions if I wasn't home, but I like them plain with ketchup.)

Sometimes my mom served these with another dish that is not low-fat or healthy but it brings back childhood memories.

Cowboy Beans (Similar to baked beans but with firmer texture like a meatloaf.)
1 pound ground beef
1 can pork-n-beans, drained
Brown sugar (roughly 1/2-3/4 cup)

Mix together well and place in 8X8 pan and bake one hour.  Treat as you would a meatloaf and drain fat and allow to set for a few minutes before serving.

These are just the kind of recipes my daughter may want one day and now she can find them.

This is just good county, southern food. Simple. Cheap. Filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K CREATIVE | POWERED BY BLOGGER