Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Potato Salad - Two Ways

I have always loved my mom's potato salad and when I met my husband and had his mom's version it was quite a shock because it was so different.  Eventually I came to love hers too, but at first it was a challenge.  I am posting both versions here so I will always have them.  My mom doesn't really follow a recipe so I am making estimates, but my mother in law had a recipe that we found after her death.  I now make hers mostly because she isn't here to serve it and I know it means a lot to my husband, but for the record I love them BOTH! 

My Mom's Potato Salad
2.5 -3 lbs potatoes
2 eggs

1/2 stalk celery, chopped (or celery salt for flavor)
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish (we use Mt. Olive in this area)
2 T. Mustard
1/2 -3/4 c. mayo
1/2 yellow onion chopped (I prefer red onion)
salt and pepper to taste.
paprika for dusting


Boil peeled and chopped potatoes.  Place uncooked eggs (still in shell) in water with potatoes so they can boil at the same times as potatoes.  When cooked drain potatoes and set aside egg to chop and add in.  Mix potatoes with all above ingredients including chopped egg.  Adjust mayo to desired consistency.  May increased pickles as desired. I even chop green peppers and add to this because I really like the flavor.  When mixed place in bowl and sprinkle with paprika and refrigerate.  I like it warm or cold, but most prefer if after cooled for several hours.

Mother In Law Potato Salad
2 lb potatoes
celery seed
1/2 c. finely diced red onion
1/2 c. diced sweet gherkin pickles (Mt. Olive brand preferred)
1/2 c. diced green pepper
1 cup JFG mayo (I use Kraft)
1 T. Cider vinegar
1 T. yellow mustard
1 t. salt
1/4 c. pickle juice from jar
Paprika for dusting

Boil potatoes until done about 20 minutes. Drain. Chop and mix above ingredients together while potatoes are cooking. Mix in cooked potatoes. Mash with potato mashers reducing lumps of potatoes.  Sprinkle with paprika. Refrigerate overnight.

There are two main differences.  My mom's version keeps potatoes to a chopped form and is more of a salted potato side dish.  My mother-in-law's version is much sweeter version and the potatoes are not kept in their form so the texture is a smoother potato.   I had the same difference of baked beans when I married into this family.  I will post both versions of those on another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K CREATIVE | POWERED BY BLOGGER