Monday, January 3, 2011

New Years Food - Southern Style


I have always lived in the south and I remember my mom always making a traditional meal on New Years Day.  There are variations on the folklore, but basically the meal consists of collard greens, black eyed peas, pork, and corn bread.  The meal is said to represent wealth and prosperity for the new year.  I always HATED this as a child and had to choke it down hoping it would work, but now as an adult I craved that meal all weekend while I was working.  It is kind of funny to think that I never seemed to care that prosperity never actually happened as a result of this meal, but it was a memory of what makes living in the south truly special because we value tradition.  I still have not eaten this yet, but I plan to this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K CREATIVE | POWERED BY BLOGGER