Sunday, February 6, 2011

Spinach Arthichoke Dip

Remember my blog is named "feeding my picky eaters" and the story begins with spinach.  We attended a birthday party for a little boy who lived next door to us about 11-13 years ago and this dip was being served.  My husband was offered some and because he is polite he accepted, despite the fact that he HATES spinach, but he was raised to be polite.  I remember the day well because then he had to be polite and stop eating the dip because it was so good.  As soon as we were home he told me to get the recipe for that dip because he like it so much. It is now a staple of any celebration or gathering because he loves it so much.  Today we bought the ingredients (and I have made him help me before) and he said, "it has yogurt in it?" I just laughed knowing that once again he was thinking of everything he should not like about this dish but loves it instead.  So if you don't think you like the ingredients...give it a try because you might even surprise yourself.

1/4 cup mayo
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 cup shredded parmesean cheese (shredded, not the green can)
1 package chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 block pepper - jack cheese, chopped into small cubes
10 1/2 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained

Stone ground crackers(we use Red Oval Brand) or Tostidos

Mix mayo and parmesean cheese, add chopped pepper-jack cheese.  Squeeze any remaining moisture possible from spinach using paper towels after squeezing by hand.  Stir into cheese mixture until combined.  I removed the end from the artichoke hearts and then gently squeeze the water from those as well but not as firmly as the spinach.  Chop gently and add last to mixture stirring gently to combine so they remain intact.

Bake in pie plate or quiche dish at 350 for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.  Try to avoid allowing it to brown for better consistency.

Sit back and enjoy watching your masterpiece being consumed!!

2 comments:

  1. YUM YUM YUM this sounds SO GOOD! Loved the story about your hubby...too funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this, and it is SOOOOO good!! Thank you for the recipe! I have tried a few recipes but I never really cared for them, but this one is definitely a keeper.I got my 3 year old to try it after convincing him it really did have artichokes (he loves them), and I could tell he liked it, but he refused to admit it because of the spinach. Oh well, if I keep making it I am sure he will keep eating it!

    ReplyDelete

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K CREATIVE | POWERED BY BLOGGER