Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Spaghetti Sauce (to can or freeze)

I have been making this spaghetti sauce every summer for several years.  My cousin gave me the recipe and she always "cans" hers, but I am more of a freezer kind of girl.  This sauce is so flavorful that I just heat and pour over pasta (any type on hand) during the winter months and I don't even add ground beef. 

4 quarts tomatoes (I use Romas)
1 onion, chopped
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. vegetable or canola oil
1 large green pepper, chopped
3 T. salt
2 t. oregano
1 t. garlic powder
4 cans Hunts regular tomato paste (the small cans)
4 cans Hunts Italian flavor tomato paste (again, small ones)

Bring tomatoes to a boil.
Simmer one hour.
Add additional ingredients.
Simmer 1 1/2 hours.

To can- process 20 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.  I freeze in quart sized bags that I lay flat in freezer to make for easier storage and thawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K CREATIVE | POWERED BY BLOGGER